200g raspberry jam
Small handful thyme leaves
Small handful rosemary leaves, finely chopped
10ml (2 tsp) paprika
1 lemon, to squeeze
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
4 duck breasts (about 1kg)
Smoked salt flakes, to taste
15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
3 medium red onions, peeled and sliced
10ml (2 tsp) sugar
10ml (2 tsp) balsamic vinegar
Salt, to taste
80g baby spinach leaves
80g gooseberries, some whole, others halved
80g radishes, thinly sliced
100g feta, cubed
40g flaked almonds, toasted
1. For the marinade, combine the raspberry jam, thyme leaves, rosemary leaves, paprika, a squeeze lemon juice and crushed garlic in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
2. Place the duck breasts in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them. Make sure the marinade coats the meat entirely. Cover and refrigerate, 1 hour.
3. Remove the duck breasts from the marinade, scrape the marinade off the meat and season with smoked salt to taste. Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the duck breasts, skin side down first, 5 minutes; then flip over and fry the other side, 5 minutes.
4. To caramelise the onions, heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and fry, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from burning.
5. When the onions are softened and golden in colour, add the sugar and balsamic vinegar – this will put the caramelisation process in motion. Season to taste. Cook the onions a further 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelised.
6. Slice the duck breasts and place on 4 serving plates. Arrange the spinach, gooseberries and radish slices around the plates. Scatter the feta, caramelised onions and toasted almond flakes over.
Brought to you by Food and Home