4 chicken drumsticks
4 chicken breasts
10ml (2 tsp) sea salt
5ml (1 tsp) pepper
5ml (1 tsp) lime zest
1ml (¼ tsp) hot paprika
2,5ml (½ tsp) dried thyme leaves
30ml (2 tbsp) sugar
125ml (½ cup) water
10ml (2 tsp) cornflour
30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
15ml (1 tbsp) rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, diced
2,5ml (½ tsp) dried chilli flakes
2,5ml (½ tsp) salt
Zest of 1 lemon
4 large whole bok choy
3 garlic cloves, diced
45ml (3 tbsp) teriyaki sauce
1 large chunk tofu, drained and cubed
Egg noodles, cooked
1. Preheat the oven to 220° C.
2. Rub the olive oil all over the chicken pieces.
3. Mix the salt, pepper, lime zest, paprika and thyme together and rub evenly over the chicken.
4. Place in one layer in a large baking tray, skin-side up, and bake for 25 minutes.
5. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the dipping sauce. Bring the sugar and water to the boil in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is melted. Add a teaspoon or two of cold water to the cornflour. Mix it into a paste and then slowly stir it back into the sugar water. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, chilli, salt and lemon zest. Bring to the boil, stirring until it thickens.
6. Turn the chicken over and bake for a further 15 minutes. Then turn back to skin-side up and grill until the skin is crisp and browned, for about 3 – 4 minutes.
7. Just before the chicken is ready to serve, cut the bottom off the bok choy and break into separate leaves. Wash well and spin dry. Heat the oil in the wok and add the garlic. Stir-fry for 15 seconds, then add the bok choy. Stir-fry until just wilted, about 1 – 2 minutes. Add the teriyaki sauce and tofu and stir-fry until heated through. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with sesame oil and chilli powder to taste. Spoon over some egg noodles.
8. Serve the chicken with the bok choy, noodles and bowls of dipping sauce on the side.
Brought to you by Food and Home