We share some of the many benefits of swimming, courtesy of Healthline.
1. It works your whole body, from toning muscles to building strength and endurance.
2. It works the inside of your body too — swimming is great fro your lungs, as well as can help lower blood pressure and control sugar.
3. It’s a great way to treat injuries, disability or arthritis as it is one of the safest option.
4. It’s great for asthmatics as it may help you expand your lung capacity and gain control over your breathing.
5. It can help those suffering from Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and the water makes the limbs buoyant, helping to support them during exercise.
6. It’s a great way to shed calories. Experts say you can burn 423 calories in an hour while swimming laps at a low to moderate pace.
7. You will sleep better at night. Research shows that older adults with insomnia who engage in regular aerobic exercise sleep better at night.
8. It boosts your mood, and has been proven to be beneficial for people with dementia.
9. It’s a great way to de-stress. Studies have shown that people feel less stressed after taking a a swim.
10. It’s safe for pregnant women who can’t do vigorous exercise. Both mommy and baby reap benefits, with studies showing that pregnant women who swam during their early to mid-pregnancy had a lower risk of preterm labour and congenital defects.
11. It’s a great way to keep the kids in shape. Kids need a minimum of 60 minutes of aerobic exercise a day, say experts, but some might not want to go for a run or play sports — swimming is a great way to get them moving and enjoying it.
Brought to you by People Magazine