1. It consists of 92 percent water, making it a great way to stay hydrated in summer.
2. Watermelon is very low in calories, with only 46 calories per cup!
3. It contains the most important antioxidants: vitamin C, carotenoids; lycopene and cucurbitacin E.
4. It contains compounds that may help prevent cancer.
5. It may improve heart health — studies show lycopene may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as help prevent oxidative damage to cholesterol.
6. It can lower inflammation and oxidative stress.
7. It could help prevent macular degeneration, a common eye problem that can cause blindness in older adults due to lycopene’s role as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound.
8. It could help relieve muscle soreness – this is due to the citrulline, an amino acid in watermelon.
9. It’s great for skin and hair thanks to two vitamins in watermelon, A and C, which are important for skin and hair health.
10. It can help improve digestion – due to its containing so much water, as well as fibre, it’s a great fruit to help with healthy digestion.
Brought to you by People Magazine