Green smoothies are the latest health craze, and for all the right reasons.
A healthy lifestyle begins with what you consume. As the saying goes: ”What you eat in private, you wear in public”. So, end the year on a good and healthy note by trying green smoothies.
Here are their top 7 health benefits:
1. Green smoothies are high in nutrition. This is because you consume green fruits or vegetables in their raw state. These nutrients include high levels of magnesium and potassium.
2. Making them is quick and easy. You literally throw fruits and veggies in a blender or juicer, and mix. Talk about the best fast food ever!
3. They easily boost your immune system.
4. Low on energy? Drink a green smoothie! They are known to supply energy so grab one during those afternoon slumps.
5. They are low in calories, yet filling. This is due to their high levels of fibre and water.
6. They can help you lose weight because they fight cravings and hunger.
7. They help keep you hydrated.
Want to make a green smoothie?
Consider using arugula, beet greens, bok choy (Chinese cabbage), cabbage, carrot tops, celery, collard greens, cucumber, dandelion greens, green apples, kale, kiwi or spinach. Play around with them to get a combination that works for you.
Plus, when in doubt, add ice cubes or a bit of water and honey. A personal favourite from our features editor Amanda Mtuli is a blend of avocado, mint, green apple, kale, spinach, ice cubes and a dash of honey for breakfast on the go.
Brought to you by Bona Magazine