2 minute read
8 Feb 2019
9:18 am

International reschedule after UK racing called off

Declarations for Thursday would revert to the usual procedures.

Loyal Lieutenant is hard to beat in Race 6.

Phumelela International and Tellytrack are in the process of reorganising the schedule from today with the news from the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) that racing will not resume in Britain until Wednesday at the earliest, with a decision to be taken on Monday.

An outbreak of equine flu forced the cancellation of all meetings yesterday a er the Animal Health Trust confirmed three positive tests from vaccinated horses at Donald McCain’s yard.

In a statement issued shortly a er 6pm yesterday the BHA said: “The BHA’s veterinary team has today been in contact with more than 50 trainers and veterinarians to allow it to make an informed assessment of the risk of equine influenza spreading.

While no further positive tests have been received, at least three more days are required before it will be possible to make a decision about whether it is safe to resume racing.

“The disease can take up to three days before symptoms are visible, meaning it will take until Sunday at the earliest before the BHA can gather all the information required.

This approach will allow samples to be collected and assessed by the Animal Health Trust in order that a fully informed decision can be made on Monday.

This may then allow declarations to take place on Tuesday in time for racing on Wednesday, with 24-hour declarations for all fixtures on this day, should racing be able to resume.

Declarations for Thursday would revert to the usual procedures.

“We are grateful to trainers and veterinarians for the rapid flow of information and feedback we have received today. Because of this, we have been able to make an informed decision earlier than we expected and before we have any test results back from horses from the affected yards that travelled to the three meetings.”

Trainers support a precautionary approach and we thank them for the collaborative manner in which they have worked with us to address this unfolding situation.

“This precautionary approach is intended to ensure we put the health of the horse population and control of the virus first, and avoid any unnecessary risk that might come from returning to racing too quickly.

We appreciate the impact that this may have on the sport commercially, but dis-ease control in order to mitigate the risk of further disruption to the sport – and safeguard the health and welfare of our horses – must be a priority.

“A plan will be constructed for the rescheduling of key races – and those which may provide important opportunities for horses to run – which are lost during this period,”Separately, as a precaution, all of the trainers who had runners at the fixtures at Wolverhampton, Ludlow and Ayr this week have been informed that their yards have been placed under a temporary hold which means that they will not be able to make any declarations until their horses have been tested and cleared.”

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.