29.5.2020 09:17 am
The Boston Marathon has been cancelled for the first time in the event’s 124-year history because of ongoing coronavirus fears, officials confirmed on Thursday.
Boston mayor Marty Walsh said that the race, which had already been postponed to September 14 from its April slot, would not now be held as planned for public health reasons.
The comments came as the viral outbreak across Japan and dozens of other countries has fuelled concerns about the Summer Games.
The four-time Olympic champion had been asked by USADA whether he had been injected with L-carnitine as part of its investigation into his former coach Alberto Salazar.
The WHO has declared the outbreak a global health emergency.
Toshiro Muto said he hoped the outbreak in China would be quickly contained to restore confidence in the run-up to the event.
At stake in the hearing will be the fate of Russian athletes hoping to compete in such events as this year’s Tokyo Olympics.
The IAAF said the aim of dropping certain events was to reduce the length of the Diamond League meetings to fit a 90-minute international broadcast window.
The biggest sanction would be Russia’s suspension from participating in any international events for four years.
If WADA chiefs adopt the recommendation, Russia faces severe sanctions including a possible ban from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Russia risks being declared non-compliant by WADA if it fails to explain how this happened.
The new 10 000m world champion was coached by Alberto Salazar, who earlier this week was banned for doping violations.
It’s the first edition without Usain Bolt’s presence since 2003.
The former British politician, who drove the eventual suspension of SA’s track queen, has been re-elected as IAAF president.