An additional R2.1 billion has been allocated to the Covid-19 social relief of distress grant in the 2021 budget to continue to temporarily support low-income earning households.
Both the relief fund and the Ters benefit have been extended to the end of April 2021.
Social grants have been reduced by R5.8 million in the 2021/22 financial year with most grants increasing by R30. This despite the number of beneficiaries expected to increase by 300 000 people.
Social grant changes:
- Child support grant – Increased by R15 to R460
- Old age grant – Increased by R30 to R1890
- Old age over 75 grant – Increased by R30 to R1910
- War veterans grant – Increased by R30 to R1910
- Disability grant – Increased by R30 to R1890
- Foster care grant – Increased by R10 to R1050
- Care dependency – Increased by R30 to R1890
By the end of January 2021, the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) had paid out R57.3 billion to 13.9 million workers.
The unemployment insurance benefit will also be extended by another three months to the end of April 2021.