Cricket 19.5.2017 12:28 pm

AB de Villiers still hasn’t given up on Test return

AB de Villiers. Photo: Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images.

AB de Villiers. Photo: Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images.

The Proteas one-day skipper is still keen to play Test cricket but insists it will still only be from next season.

AB de Villiers might not have played a Test since late January 2016 but it doesn’t mean he’s given up on the five-day format.

The Proteas’ one-day captain continues to insist the plan is still to aim for the series against India and Australia next season.

Also read: Don’t you worry about my form, says AB de Villiers

De Villiers, who struggled with an elbow injury for almost seven months, decided in January to only focus on ODI assignments in order to keep his body fit for 2019’s World Cup.

But he also didn’t rule out fighting for a place in Test cricket again.

“I haven’t retired, no. But I’m not going to change my decision. I’ll look indecisive,” said De Villiers, ahead of the Proteas’ 50-over warm-up against Sussex on Friday afternoon.

“It’s the decision for this year. The decision was to play a bit less. I’m feeling fresh and looking forward to playing a tournament.”

That course of action has already paid off as the 33-year-old batting magician feels “100%” for his upcoming challenges, especially the ICC Champions Trophy next month.

“It’s the decision for this year,” said De Villiers.

“The decision was to play a bit less. I’m feeling fresh and looking forward to playing a tournament. I made some important decisions for my life and career in the last year or so in order for me to have the best chance of winning trophies.”

For more sport your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

 

 

To comment you need to be signed in to Facebook. Please do not comment by saying anything prejudiced.
We reserve the right to remove offensive comments.

poll

today in print