South African cricket’s Kolpak exodus continues unabated.
The Titans on Monday confirmed that Proteas limited overs all-rounder David Wiese had also chosen to further his career in England.
Wiese, who until March was still in India at the World T20 with South Africa, has fallen out of the favour since.
He will join Sussex having turned out part-time for the English county last season.
“David’s decision to sign a Kolpak-deal for Sussex is indeed a sad day for us at the franchise and for South Africa,” Jacques Faul, the Titans’ chief executive, said on the franchise’s website.
“It is sad because we obviously pride ourselves in being a successful conveyor belt for international players. South Africa is losing the services of a match-winning all-rounder whose tremendous straight hitting and masterful change of pace makes him an asset to any team.”
Yet unlike the Kyle Abbott saga last week, Wiese has been upfront with his employer.
“We are indebted to David because he has been very frank with us from the start, and he has handled the whole process with professionalism and integrity,” said Faul.
Another bonus is that local cricket at least won’t be missing out on his experience as Wiese will continue to play for the Titans in the English off-season.
Cricket South Africa last week stated the number of Kolpak players in domestic cricket would need to be limited.