”The workers are not satisfied because the main issue of bonuses was not addressed satisfactorily by the employer. As a result, workers have not reported for work today,” said spokesman Castro Ngobese.
A meeting between Eskom contractors and unions was held on Monday to resolve the impasse at Medupi. Eskom offered 1700 employees, suspended for taking part in an unprotected strike last month, to return to work.
Ngobese said workers were demanding a R10000 bonus for the completion of Medupi’s unit six. ”Managers received bonuses for the work done on unit six, but the hard working majority at Medupi were not given bonuses…this is the underlying matter.”
Angry workers barricaded roads on Wednesday morning preventing access to the power station. ”The roads have been cleared by police, the situation is calm now,” said police spokeswoman Colonel Ronel Otto.
Medupi has been marred by construction delays. On March 2, Eskom announced that Medupi’s unit six produced power for the first time. Suspended chief executive Tshediso Matona said 794MW from Medupi’s unit six would be fed into the national grid in a couple of months. rolling blackouts since Sunday. It implemented stage three blackouts on Tuesday evening.
The power utility intensified.