“We have tabled what we view as our final counter-proposal and call on management of Sapo to respond positively and with the necessary speed if indeed they are serious about resolving the current labour unrest and achieve a lasting cessation of hostilities which have so far had dire consequences,” CWU general secretary Aubrey Tshabalala said.
The union tabled a revised salary demand of 7.5 percent backdated to April 1, and a further 0.5 percent from January 2015.
By April next year, they want to have in place an eight percent increase plus CPI (inflation)
The union had earlier demanded a 15 percent salary increase and conversion of casual workers into permanent employees.
In its proposal to the Sapo the CWU wanted casual workers employed full-time within 16 months as opposed to the Sapo’s 30 months.
Tshabalala said union members had mandated the union to revise its demand. If the Sapo signed the proposal the strike could be over by Monday.
Union president Clyde Marvin said the Sapo has offered 7.5 percent with effect from December.
“We are responding to their letter. Their offer does not say anything about backdated increase,” he said.
The Sapo had until Thursday to respond to the union’s revised demand, he said.
The union would send its demand to Sapo on Wednesday afternoon.
Tshabalala said the union would march to the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Thursday and to Parliament in Cape Town on Friday.