Chippa frustrated as Arrows snatch a draw

Menzi Masuku (Photo by Charle Lombard/Gallo Images)

Golden Arrows twice came from a goal down to earn a 2-2 draw with Chippa United in a highly entertaining league encounter at a packed Sisa Dukashe Stadium on Friday night.

It was a game for the two Lerato’s – Lerato Manzini for Chippa and Lerato Lamola for Arrows, who cancelled each other out with a brace each.

The first half was dominated by Chippa, who in front of a near-capacity crowd, kept the home fans well entertained with both individual skill and combination play.

The Chilli Boys were on top from the outset and could have taken an early lead if Manzini had found the target from a great position in the box instead of opening up his body and sending the ball wide of the target.

It was Manzini though who was to put Chippa ahead, the marksman stroking a low shot into the far corner of the net after Menzi Masuku had shown wonderful agility and skill to get in a cross from the byline.

But despite dominating possession, enjoying several promising attacking forays, and exhibiting lots of eye-catching football, there were no further clear-cut chances on goal for the home side before half-time.

There was, however, to be a flurry of goalmouth action after the restart, the first of which saw Arrows defender Limbikani Mzava making an excellent clearance off his own line to keep out Andile Mbenyane.

It was at the other end though that the next goal arrived when Lerato Lamola ran onto a through-ball and smashed a sensational shot into the top corner from nearly 25-yards out; 1-1 after 50 minutes.

But Chippa regained their advantage only three minutes later when the industrious Masuku delivered an inch-perfect cross for Manzini to nod in at the near post.

Abafana bes’Thende, though, were looking more of a threat in the second half and Lamola was inches away from stabbing in a 63rd minute cross.

The game remained open and there for the taking as both sides attacked with pace and purpose, making for a great spectacle.

It was Arrows’ Lerato who was to have the final say as he matched Manzini’s brace with a back-post half-volley which flew into the roof of the net seven minutes from time.

Chippa pressed hard for a late winner, but some desperate defending from the KZN side ensured they picked up the point

The result means Clinton Larsen’s Arrows remain in seventh position, one place and three points above Dan Malesela’s Chilli Boys.

today in print