Other sport 5.12.2014 08:37 am

Hekkie Budler relishing showdown against Silverstre

FILE PICTURE: Hekkie Budler. Picture: Neil McCartney.

FILE PICTURE: Hekkie Budler. Picture: Neil McCartney.

Reigning WBA and IBO straw-weight champion Hekkie “The Hexecutioner” Budler aims to unleash his best performance in his highly anticipated bout against Jesus Silvestre in Monte Carlo, Monaco on February 21.

“I worked very hard at training to improve my game and be better because your opponents always plan against you so you have to be ready,” said Budler.

His trainer Colin Nathan said intense preparations have been ongoing for the tough bout.

“South African boxing fanatics can expect another dominant performance by which many regard Hekkie as the best mini flyweight in the world,” Nathan said.

“Jesus is a very good fighter, a former world interim champion and is going up against a great fighter, we will witness that when they step in the square ring.”

The WBA title contest would be the third title defence for the South African boxer, who won the title in March last year via first round stoppage against Karluis Diaz in Kempton Park, Johannesburg.

He went on to defend the title twice — in the first overcoming Pigmy Kokietgym and beating the former WBC champion Xiong Zhao Zhong in his second.

The 26-year-old Budler fought back against the odds to beat the Japanese boxer after he was floored in second round.

“Zhong was very strong and ducked his head low a lot and it was hard for him to hit,” he said.

Budler’s ultimate goal was to face-off against the IBF and WBO champion Francisco Rodriguez.

“I would wish to fight Rodriguez as he is dual champion like me and has also beaten another highly rated Katsunari Takayama” he said.

Budler who has an impressive record of 27 victories and a single defeat is rated on number one spot by The Ring Magazine while Silvestre has won 30 of his outings, with five losses.

Sapa

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Citizen Trail Run 2018

today in print