The South African Rugby Union (SARU) on Tuesday agreed to assist the Eastern Province Rugby Union by taking control of the Southern Kings franchise in Vodacom Super Rugby.
The action followed through a decision taken by the Executive Council of SARU some weeks ago to step into the Kings’ affairs if certain expectations were not realised. The decision was actioned as a result of the on-going cash flow problems at the Union after the president of EP, Mr Cheeky Watson, contacted Mr Oregan Hoskins, the president of SARU, to ask him to assist.
“We gave the Kings as long as possible to resolve their issues through their own efforts but the point had been reached where they could wait no longer,” said Mr Oregan Hoskins, president of SARU.
“It is a decision we have had to take reluctantly but it is now 102 days until Vodacom Super Rugby moves into a new era with new teams and new nations taking part and we collectively agreed we could not allow South Africa’s new entrant to be under-prepared.”
Jurie Roux, CEO of SARU, said that the organisation had undertaken some contingency planning in the event of SARU being required to take control and those plans would now be put into operation.
“We have already had conversations around off-field and on-field preparations but I don’t want to mislead anyone, there is still much to do,” said Roux.
“For the moment we will be working behind the scenes to sort out the various issues that we need to address. In the meantime we would thank the rugby fans of Port Elizabeth and the Eastern Cape for their patience and to have just a little more while we finalise those plans.
“I hope that we will be able to reveal the new management processes of the Kings and other details in a week or two. For the moment, our focus is on sorting out the finances and identifying the playing and coaching needs for Vodacom Super Rugby participation.”
The Southern Kings kick off their Vodacom Super Rugby campaign with a home match against the Cell C Sharks at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on 27 February 2016.