Premium Journalist
3 minute read
21 Apr 2018
7:19 pm

Sharks scrape home 24-17 against Stormers


The Sharks scraped home 24-17, by the skin of their teeth, against the Stormers in the Super Rugby derby in Durban on Saturday evening after trailing 7-3 at halftime.

Given their overwhelming territorial and possession advantage the Sharks’ victory was well deserved and in the end, they only just managed to stave the Stormers’ match-saving efforts at the death.

Play was scrappy at the outset with the Sharks just about shading the Stormers in most facets of play. 

This was the trend for most of the first half as the Sharks enjoyed a decided territorial advantage which they were not able to exploit, mainly as a result of their own shortcomings.

Sharks flyhalf Rob du Preez gave his side a 17th minute lead with his second attempt at goal and fullback Curwin Bosch should have doubled the lead moments later, but was fractionally wide of the mark from the kicking tee (3-0).

Up to this stage, the Stormers’ tactical kicking was rank poor although leftwing Raymond Rule landed a huge touch finder in the 24th minute. In stark comparison, the Sharks’ upfield kicks proved vastly troublesome although the Stormers scrambled well to avert danger.

Just ahead of the half-hour mark the Stormers made a rare appearance in the Sharks half where they were awarded a penalty in a kickable position. They opted for touch and a lineout, but nothing came of the ploy as they reeled in a succession of pick and go drives which ended with the ball being turned over under the Sharks posts.

Two minutes ahead of the break the Stormers counter attacked after turning the ball over inside their own half. Once the ball was relayed with a few passes to flank Siyamthanda Kolisi, the move picked up momentum as he stormed down the wide channel. Rule was up in support to take the scoring pass and he cantered in under the posts for the first try of the match. Willemse converted to give the Stormers a 7-3 advantage at the break.

The spectators had hardly taken their seats for second-half action, when the Sharks ran in their first try after centre Lukhanyo Am and leftwing Makazole Mapimpi worked in tandem to breach the Stormers’ defence before the latter dived over. A Rob du Preez conversion allowed the Sharks to nose ahead 10-7.

The Sharks’ lead was short-lived as the Cape visitors produced a 10-point scoring burst via a Willemse penalty and a converted try by hooker Ramone Samuels in the 52nd minute (17-10).

The Sharks came within a whisker of responding moments later with a try, but the TMO referred effort showed that rightwing Sibusiso Nkosi lost the ball a fraction away from the whitewash.

Dewaldt Duvenage, the Stormers scrumhalf was yellow-carded in the 58th minute and it was only a matter of time before the Sharks were able to exploit the one-man advantage, as Rob du Preez and his brother Jean-Luc du Preez combined well to finish a strong surge with a converted try (17-17).

The Sharks continued to pile on the pressure and the Stormers defence finally cracked again in the 73rd minute, when prop Thomas du Toit was well in support to add the finishing touch to his side’s third try. Rob du Preez’s conversion gave what appeared to be a match-winning 24-17 lead with time running out.

And so it turned out as the Sharks looked after their 7-point lead although the Stormers had an attacking 5m line-out, and a subsequent maul, to launch a match-saving move.

Scorers: Sharks 24 (3): Tries: Lukhanyo Am, Jean-Luc du Preez, Thomas du Toit. Conversions: Robert du Preez (3). Penalty: Robert du Preez

Stormers 17 (7): Tries: Raymond Rhule, Ramone Samuels. Conversions: Damian Willemse (2). Penalty: Willemse   

 – African News Agency (ANA)