Rudolph Jacobs
Rugby journalist
2 minute read
15 Apr 2016
9:35 pm

Cheetahs play ‘cricket’ against Sunwolves

Rudolph Jacobs

The Cheetahs recorded their second win of the Super Rugby competition when they massacred the Sunwolves 92-17 in Bloemfontein on Friday night.

Derek Carpenter (C) of the Sunwolves and Hilton Lobberts of the Cheetahs during the Super Rugby match between Toyota Cheetahs and Sunwolves at Toyota Stadium on April 15, 2016 in Bloemfontein, South Africa. (Photo by Johan Pretorius/Gallo Images)

But if ever there was an one-sided affair this was it with the Sunwolves totally disinterested in making proper first-time tackles with the Cheetahs running in 14 tries against two – at a time when the hometeam started losing interest and becoming unstructured.

While one doesn’t want to take anything away from the Cheetahs, this poor display from the Japanese side was not a good advertisement for Super Rugby.

The Sunwolves’ only ‘highlights’ were the two tries they scored in the 51st minute through centre Derek Carpenter (59-10) and wing Mifi Paea in the 60th (59-17) when the game was already dome and dusted.

It was the Cheetahs biggest score in Super Rugby with the previous biggest when they mauled the Lions 59-10 running in nine tries in 2010.

The Sunwolves appeared to have one foot on the plane after three tough weeks in the Republic and the Cheetahs took advantage of some very poor defence to run in seven first-half tries to already lead 45-3 at the break.

Understandably play got very scrappy in the second half with the visitors taking advantage after Cheetahs coach Franco Smith started to empty his replacement bench to give everyone a run before embarking the plane on their away leg on Sunday afternoon.

Three minutes after the break flank Hilton Lobberts scored the eighth try to push up their score to 52-3 after Marais landed his sixth successful conversion and just four minutes later fullback Clayton Blommetjies scored the ninth to push the score up to 59-3.

Eventually the Sunwolves scored their first try in the 51st minute with centre Derek Carpenter cutting through to dive over under the sticks to reduce the massive gap of the Cheetahs to 59-10.

The visitors scored their second try through wing Mifi Paea in the 60th minute to change the score to 59-17, before No 8 Paul Schoeman scored the 10th try in the 63rd minute to again change the scoreline to 66-17.

But then the Cheetahs ran in four more tries with both wing Sergeal Pietersen and loose forward completing their hat-tricks with Pietersen gifting Schoeman his third try being former team-mates at the Kings.

The final four tries consisted of reserve hooker Jacques du Toit, Pietersen’s third and Schoeman’s second and third tries.

While Sunwolves flyhalf Tusi Pisi gave them some unrealistic early hope with the opening penalty to lead 3-0 after three minutes, the Cheetahs took over ever since hooker Torsten van Jaarsveld scored the first try from a maul in the seventh minute to lead 7-3.

In the ninth minute captain Francois Venter scored an intercept try to increase the lead to 14-3 which was followed by tries from flank Uzair Cassiem (16th), wing Raymond Rhule (18th), wing Sergeal Pietersen (21st), scrumhalf Shaun Venter (25th) and Pietersen’s second (33rd).