David Bellairs, a director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, confirmed on Friday that an additional 3 000 entries would be made available to the general public for next year’s race after the available 30 000 were sold in just eight hours.
“We were completely taken by surprise by the quick sell-out and we are evaluating the entry process for future events,” Bellairs said.
Initial entries had been allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, but the additional 3 000 would be assigned through a random selection process.
“Riders wishing to secure an entry will be given a week to register their interest on our website,” Bellairs said.
“The available entries will then be allocated to individuals on a ballot-style basis, after which fees will become payable.
“We believe this to be the fairest way to allocate the remaining entries without prejudicing participants and overloading our systems.”
Interested cyclists could begin registering their interest at 1pm on Tuesday at www.cycletour.co.za.