Local newsMunicipalUpdate

Dan Tloome housing project in the spotlight yet again

After visiting the Dan Tloome mega housing project, ActionSA RandWest revealed many shortcomings yet again.

ActionSA in the RandWest City Region recently visited the Dan Tloome mega housing project in the Wheatlands area and revealed shocking discoveries.

On January 16, ActionSA RandWest chairperson Lewatle Diale issued a statement saying that they visited the housing project after being approached.

Diale said they had uncovered distressing shortcomings where one of the houses (that was not built too long ago) had a section of its wall caving in. The house’s ceilings were also crumbling. To Diale’s shock, she confirmed that the house was already occupied despite it being in such bad condition.

• Also read: More concerns over Dan Tloome mega housing project

ActionSA RandWest City confirmed they had been receiving multiple complaints from residents residing in Dan Tloome regarding issues about the state of the building, along with problems regarding surrounding areas.

The infrastructure of the ceiling can be seen after it caved in. Photo submitted.

Diale revealed some of the issues saying, “Within the housing project, there was raw sewage allocated in multiple places. Many buildings were also severely damaged or identified as defective. Then there are allegations of individuals illegally renting out finished units before allocating to the rightful person and foreigners given trading spaces by contractors without consultation and illegal evictions and no title deeds.”

• Also read: LETTER: What are we paying for? – Dan Tloome resident

On January 17, ActionSA RandWest City arranged a thorough meeting with the community to discuss solutions for the housing project.

“We are calling on the municipality and the Gauteng provincial government to urgently assess the work done by the contractor to ensure that all affected families of unsafe buildings are accommodated with safe living space. We further call for an immediate investigation into all allegations levied.

A wall at one of the Dan Tloome houses. Photo submitted.

“ActionSA RandWest is still obtaining statements and evidence daily and will not stop until the mega projects in this municipality are rectified, are rid of corrupt activities and residents benefit from this project,” added ActionSA Rand West City media manager Dauw Steyn.

In September 2023, the Randfontein Herald also reported that the DA conducted an oversight visit at the mega housing project to inspect the area and the state that it is currently in. Meanwhile, DA Shadow MEC for Human Settlements Mervyn Cirota said that it was evident that residents continue to suffer due to terrible infrastructure and the lack of basic service delivery.

Resident Lindiwe Ximba said at the time that her living conditions had been appalling, to say the least. She added that a lot of residents feel the same.

In addition, the Herald has this past week alone received two complaints from residents who opted to remain anonymous in fear of being victimised.

“We are not safe, I foresee disaster,” one of them stated.

You can read the full story on our App. Download it here.

Related Articles

Back to top button