ANCYL members march at ANC NEC meeting

ANCYL members march at ANC NEC meeting

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA - NOVEMBER 07: African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) president Collen Maine during a media briefing at the Luthuli House on November 07, 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa. While answering questions regarding his relationship with the Guptas, Maine said whether he visits the Guptas' home or not isn't anyone's business as he sees no problem with this. (Photo by Gallo Images / Beeld / Felix Dlangamandla)

The ANC will hold its NEC meeting, which ends on Sunday, at Irene’s St George Hotel.

Disgruntled members of the African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) will on Friday march to the ANC’s National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting in Irene, Pretoria, to demand the disbandment of the league’s provincial and national leadership.

The ANC will hold its NEC meeting, which ends on Sunday, at Irene’s St George Hotel.

Groups from various provinces, calling themselves the “Revive ANCYL Movement”, have vowed to have the league structures dissolved and new task teams appointed leading up to a national elective conference.

The long-overdue elective conference for new leaders has been postponed numerous times, reportedly due to and lack of quorum and unaudited branches.

The last elective conference was held in September 2015 in Johannesburg, where the incumbent Collen Maile was elected president.

The Revive ANCYL Movement has held marches to ANC offices in their respective provinces including the party headquarters, Luthuli House in Johannesburg, where they handed over memorandums of demands.

Maine has been labelled an “elder” by the members, who want him and his executive committee gone.

They accuse him of “burying” the “weakened” ANCYL by concentrating on ANC factional battles instead of fighting for the youth, majority of whom are unemployed and unable to access higher education.

Maine is reportedly against the dissolving of ANCYL structures and instead wants to deliver a political report at the next conference.

The ANCYL has lost ground at tertiary institutions, with the Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command gaining popularity and winning some of the Student Representative Council elections.

Ntuthuko Makhombothi, an ANCYL member and former SA Students Congress president from eThekhwini region in KwaZulu-Natal, said ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule has stated in a letter last week that the present ANCYL was not legitimate and that by law, the organisation and all its structures were liquidated and undergoing rehabilitation.

“The ANC NEC should stop inviting ‘illegitimate leaders’ to its meetings or face legal action,” Makhombothi said in a statement on behalf of the Revive ANCYL Movement.

“The communique implies that the offices of the ANCYL, not only in Luthuli House but in all other areas, have been occupied against the law.

“Furthermore, from its own admission, the ANC NEC and its subordinate structures have contravened the law by allowing illegal structures in their meetings and decision making bodies.

“The communication from the secretary-general of the ANC does not place any constraints or limitations to the ability of the ANC NEC to disband the illegitimate ANCYL NEC.

“The communication confirms our views that this ANCYL has failed to resuscitate the youth league structures and to represent the interests of young people.

“We call for all ANC structures, starting at the NEC, to stop inviting the illegitimate youth league leaders to their decision making structures. Failure to uphold this request will result in the Revive the Youth League Movement taking legal action,” said Mthombothi.

The league is supposed to hold elective conferences every three years.

– African News Agency

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.



today in print