Construction on an “illegal” building project in Eldoraigne, Centurion, has continued despite objections, reports Centurion Rekord.
Tshwane metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo confirmed last week that a notice to cease construction at a Saxby Avenue property in Eldoraigne was issued by the metro’s building control division.
“The case is currently with our group legal department for an urgent interdict and approval from the city manager,” Mashigo said.
Mashigo did not provide a reason why the metro deemed the construction illegal.
However, despite this, construction has continued.
Centurion Rekord visited the site on Friday afternoon where construction on a reported residential complex had already started.
While there were no workers on the site, neighbours complained strongly about the construction that had taken place.
Local ward councillor Cindy Billson said it appeared that the owner, who was apparently not in the country, planned to construct as many as 12 residential units in the property.
“The density of the 12 units on the single property is much higher than is allowed for by the metro’s spatial development plan,” Billson said.
“It just appears as if no legal process was followed before the construction on the property started.”
Another concern for Billson was the bend in Saxby Avenue on which the property was located.
“There are high volumes of traffic on what many consider to be one of the most dangerous bends in Centurion,” she said.
“This makes it nearly impossible to imagine 12 families having to navigate in and out of the complex into this dangerous piece of road.”