Springs shack fire kills mother and daughter

Springs shack fire kills mother and daughter

File image.

One man was rescued by his neighbours, but his girlfriend and daughter were trapped inside and died.

Two people have died after a fire broke out inside their rented shack in Barcelona, Springs, in the early hours of Monday morning, reports African Reporter.

KwaThema police spokesperson Captain Thabo Sibuyi said the fire started inside the shack while the family was sleeping.

ALSO READ: Shack fires devastate East Rand informal settlement

“Neighbours, who heard windows breaking, quickly went outside to inspect what was happening.

“They found the shack already covered in flames and managed to rescue Naphtaly Nyathabe, but his girlfriend and daughter were trapped inside and died.

“Nyathabe was rushed to Pholosong Hospital to receive medical attention for the injuries he sustained.

“The police are investigating an inquest and no one has been arrested this far and further investigations are underway,” Sibuyi said.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.




today in print