Classes were expected to resume at Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke in North West on Thursday after being disrupted last week, after a picture showing four black children seated separately from their white Grade R counterparts sparked a nationwide outcry.
Following racially-charged confrontations at the school on January 10, white parents did not bring their children to school the next day, and the few black learners who arrived soon went back home.
North West member of the executive council for education Sello Lehari met with all stakeholders on Wednesday in a bid to calm the situation.
He pleaded with parents to bring their children to school, and urged political parties to allow the department to investigate the issue.
However, some parents were concerned about the safety of their children, despite the police committing to protect the school.
North West police said they had clamped down on the notorious SVK gang in Ipelengeng near Schweizer-Reneke, after the parents of learners at Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke raised safety concerns.
“We have dealt with the SVKs,” police spokesperson Brigadier Tshenolo Tlotleng said. “I know that because we came here with the Tactical Response Team and public order police. We were working in Ipelegeng. We have cleaned the area. Those people are in detention now.”
One parent, Johannes Phuthiyagae, said his son was traumatised and afraid to go to school after he saw people jumped into its premises last week, following a protest over the racial incident.
“He thought SVK were attacking the school,” Phuthiyagae said.
A report on the separation of learners is expected to be finalised by next week.
– African News Agency (ANA)