While millions of South Africans ushered in 2016 by setting off firecrackers and fireworks, numerous pets were injured or ran away after being frightened by the loud explosions.
In Mbombela, a Jack Russell was badly injured after it tried to jump over a palisade fence during New Year’s Eve celebrations, Lowvelder reported.
“We received a call about an injured dog last night. When we arrived at the scene we found it bleeding profusely as a result of a deep cut in its stomach and a smaller one on its side,” said Gerty Greyling of LifeMed.
According to Greyling the family had moved into the area a few weeks ago.
“Over the years we have been telling people about the negative impact caused by firecrackers. They terrify animals who will try anything to get away,” she said.
In Highway, KwaZulu-Natal, a dog had to be euthanised by the local SPCA after a firecracker exploded in its mouth.
This came after a dog accidentally hanged itself on a wall while trying to escape fireworks in Kempton Park, Gauteng.
According to Jan du Toit from the Kempton Park SPCA, the animal, which was chained, tried to jump a wall and in the process killed itself, Kempton Express reported.
Du Toit added thirty stray dogs and two cats were also taken in by the society.
Charmaine Booysen, owner of the 9th Day Animal Shelter in Krugersdorp, said a dog was found in a bloodied cage after it tried to get away from the close-by bomb crackers that were set off.
“She is alright now, but even after we gave her calming medicine and has someone there to look after the dogs, she still managed to seriously injure herself while trying to get away,” she said.
Manager of Friends of Rescued Animals (Fora), Linda Scrace said the organisation had received numerous reports of missing pets between 1 and 2 January, Krugersdorp News reported.
“Dogs senses are more magnified than human senses. They also don’t understand the loud continuing noises the crackers make,” Scrace said explained.
Meanwhile in Sandton, local SPCA inspector said Obed Mohlala said he personally had to rescue 13 dogs who had ran away from their homes after being frightened by fire crackers between 31 December and 2 January.
“Other people brought in about 5 dogs during that same period. No one has come to collect the dogs because people are still on holiday,” Mohlala said.
He urged people to place their pets indoors during periods of the year when fireworks and firecrackers were set off.
– Caxton News Service