South Africa 28.11.2013 03:52 pm

Baby rape case postponed

The pair had been charged with stock theft.
Photo: Supplied

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

A Northern Cape man accused of raping his six-week-old niece will remain in custody until 12 December 2013 for his next court appearance.

The suspect who allegedly raped the infant in Galeshewe briefly appeared in the appeared in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court on Thursday afternoon.

The matter has been postponed to December 23 for a formal bail application.

The 24-year-old man is said to have raped the infant around 11.30pm on Tuesday evening, while the infant’s mother and grandmother was in another room watching television.

The infant was rushed to hospital and has had emergency surgery and remains in a Paediatric ICU unit.

Northern Cape health department spokeswoman Lulu Mxekezo said that the infant is in a critical but stable state and that she sustained very serious injuries during the ordeal.

 

The Citizen Trail Run 2018

today in print