; Twenty witnesses for ex-HOD’s R140m fraud case – The Citizen

Twenty witnesses for ex-HOD’s R140m fraud case

More than 20 witnesses are expected to testify in the R140 million fraud trial of the Mpumalanga community safety department’s former head Thulani Sibuyi when it resumes in May.

Sibuyi, 37, and his co-accused, GNT security owner Vusi Mashaba, 41, appeared in the Nelspruit Regional Court on Wednesday, a Sapa correspondent reported.

“The State is ready for trial. The defence have been handed the list of witnesses and the disclosure of the docket has been made. They are aware of the final charges faced by their clients,” prosecutor Patrick Nkuna said.

“The State intends to bring more than 20 witnesses, which the defence has been furnished with.”

Sibuyi and Mashaba handed themselves over to the Nelspruit police on August 8 after a warrant of arrest was issued for them. They were released on bail of R50,000 each.

Sibuyi faces charges of fraud and Mashaba charges of fraud, forgery, and uttering. They have not yet pleaded.

Magistrate Eddie Hall postponed the case to May 7 for trial. He warned the two not to contact any of the witnesses.

“If it happens that you want to do business with the department and may contact some of the witnesses, you are warned to inform the state first,” he said.

Nkuna previously told the court that Mashaba, on behalf of his company GNT, allegedly submitted a fraudulent tax certificate when applying for a tender to provide security to government property or entities in the Gert Sibande region.

Nkuna said Sibuyi failed to stop the appointment, leading to GNT being paid R4 million a month for three years.

Last month, Sibuyi resigned as HOD after he was arrested in Gauteng for alleged drunken driving. He was released on bail of R1000 and would appear again in the Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court once the result of his blood test was known.

Sapa

 

today in print