South Africa 28.11.2013 06:00 am

Justice eludes Diepsloot kids

FILE PIC. A calm looking Diepsloot. Picture by Morapedi Mashashe

FILE PIC. A calm looking Diepsloot. Picture by Morapedi Mashashe

Diepsloot residents were angered yesterday when the case against the man accused of murdering three toddlers in the area was postponed again, to December 12.

Two-dozen Diepsloot residents gathered outside the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court for the fourth time yesterday. “We are here to show support for the mothers (of the girls) and to say we want justice,” Morgan Sithole, a Diepsloot resident said.

The bodies of the two Mali cousins, Yonelisa and Zandile, were found in a public toilet in Diepsloot early last month. The body of Analise Mkhondo was found strangled with a piece of plastic in September, not far from where the Mali cousins’ bodies were found.

The man accused of the rape and murder of the girls only nodded when the judge asked him questions. The court heard that although the investigation into the murders have been concluded, the man’s defence wanted to consult with their client.

According to Vincentia Ngobese, spokesman for Women and Men Against Child Abuse, the

Diepsloot community needs a lot of intervention.

“We need active social workers, active religious leaders, traditional healers and everyone in the community to pull together so that these things don’t happen,” she said.

Ngobese said that she hopes one day South Africans will celebrate 360 days of no violence against children in South Africa.

Joseph Pitsi, another Diepsloot resident, said the State is failing the community. “It is taking too long to prosecute. It is very frustrating; it feels like the government is siding with the criminals,” he said.

He added that the court should let the suspect go “so we can sort him out once and for all”.

 

The Citizen Trail Run 2018

today in print