An initiation school has been closed and destroyed by police after six 16-year-old boys were allegedly kidnapped in Sebokeng and held in an open field on Pretoria Road, close to Birchleigh Railway Station in Gauteng.
The boys, believed to have been taken with their parents’ permission, were allegedly assaulted, Kempton Express reported.
They were rescued on Friday afternoon around 2pm.
According to provincial police spokesperson, Captain Tsekiso Mofokeng, the incident is linked to an illegal initiation school.
“The five arrested suspects were released because they could not be linked to the school and some of them were relatives of the boys,” he added.
“Some of the parents have taken their sons home, but others remain in hospital.” All the boys had reportedly been circumcised.
Mofokeng said the boys had been kept in the field for three days.
In a separate incident, a 12-year-old boy was found dead at an initiation school Rooigrond, near Mahikeng, in the North West, late last month.
The boy from Verdwaal village was found dead by the school teacher on Saturday. The teacher alerted the police.
“When police asked what happened he told them that the deceased was assaulted last week Sunday, November 22, 2015 by unknown men from the same village,” Sergeant Kealeboga Molale said.
“The body was found with sjambok wounds and burns.”
The police said a postmortem on the body was being carried out to determine the cause of death.
No arrests were made but investigations were continuing.
Read more: Kidnapped boys allegedly sexually assaulted
– Caxton News Service