“Minister Peters threatened that motorists without e-tags would pay double and would not be considered for any special discount,” said FF Plus spokesman Anton Alberts.
“The minister is misleading the public with her threats and is blackmailing motorists. There is no legal obligation to obtain an e-tag. Motorists who do not purchase e-tags may legally not be fined as they are not contravening any law.”
Peters announced on Wednesday that e-tolling would come into effect on December 3.
Alberts said his party would continue with its application in the High Court in Pretoria to have the e-toll Act, signed into law by President Jacob Zuma in September, declared unconstitutional.
The FF Plus, the agricultural union TAU SA and the National Taxpayers’ Association filed papers last week.
The matter is expected to be heard in December, said Alberts.
“The ANC has for the first time collided with the public from across the whole political spectrum against e-tolls and it will without doubt be reflected in next year’s general election results,” Alberts said.