Mayoral spokesperson Sthembiso Nshengu confirmed all emergency services have suspended their operation in looking for survivors and the attention will now shift to cleaning up the scene.
“Reports indicate that there are no people who are alive trapped in the wreckage,” said Nshengu.
“There may however be bodies, but this will be determined once relevant authorities and cleaned the scene,” he added.
Netcare 911 spokesman Chris Botha said that one person, a woman, had died and 29 people had been taken to hospital.
Nine of the people injured in the collapse are currently fighting for their lives, Nshengu confirmed.
The disaster took place on Tuesday around 4pm, and emergency teams have since been working to find survivors and possible bodies as well. Throughout the night teams of sniffer dogs and emergency units were used to find any signs of life under the rubble that covers a large area.