Minister of Safety and Security served papers

DESPERATE. Foreign nationals seeking asylum yesterday at the Gospel Believers Church in Nigel. They were forced to leave their homes as residents of the Duduza informal settlement had looted shops, assaulted and chased them away last month. They have been at the church since October 29. Over 180 people are living in the church until it is safe for them to return. Picture: Alaister Russell.

The People seeking Justice Action Group (PSJAG) has filed papers with the South Gauteng High Court against the Minister of Safety and Security.

This followed the September violence which erupted after a 23-year-old male was allegedly shot by a Somali shopkeeper, apparently in a dispute over airtime. PSJAG spokesman Ayob Mungalee said time had run out for the Duduza Customer Care Centre (CCC) to return expelled residents to their homes. “There are 184 people who were displaced during that violence, and they lost everything,” he said gesturing at a group of men, women and children wandering around a park in Dunnottar on the East Rand.

The group is also seeking compensation of between R30 000 and R50 000 so they can start their business again. “This is ethnic cleansing as only Somali, Ethiopian and Bangladeshi people are being targeted,” he claimed. He also named the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Council, Duduza CCC, Gauteng MEC of Safety and Security and Councillor Thabo Motaung as respondents in the court case, which will be heard on November 21.

Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane condemned the looting recently. “We take note of the allegations levelled against the police on this matter and we will act on those where evidence is provided,” said Mokonyane.



today in print

today in print