SUV driver blames joggers for accident

FILE PIC. Sibusiso Langa who is accused of killing five joggers in an alleged drunk-driving accident exits the North Gauteng High Court after his case has been postponed on 18 February 2013. Picture: Christine Vermooten

He felt “terrible” about the deaths of the five joggers he ran down with his car, but the accident was their fault, a mechanical engineer yesterday told the North Gauteng High Court.

Sibusiso Langa tried to exonerate himself from any blame in the deaths of the five joggers who died after he ploughed into them with his two-ton SUV in Lever Road in Midrand on October 22, 2011.

He has pleaded not guilty to murdering Reneilwe Lesenyaho, Gaolojwe Tlale, Moroesi Mokoatsi, Given Mills and Nomvula Dumako, attempting to murder Abegail Stengile and driving under the influence of alcohol.

Langa testified that he had socialised with a group of friends until after four in the morning, but only had a glass of wine and two light beers.

He had just left a fast-food outlet and was on his way home at about 6am when he came around a bend and “somewhere all of a sudden found the people in the middle of the road”.

“I tried to brake my car and I tried to swerve to the left but everything happened so quickly and the car collided with them. They were thrown to the right side of the road. My car was on the left side … They were in my path.

“…I was surprised about the number of them lying there on the road. I was shocked to see what had happened. I just couldn’t believe it,” he said

He denied trying to run away from the scene.

“It was a terrible accident and I wake up every day and think about it. I felt so terrible. I’ve tried to reach out to the families but they’ve refused,” he said.

Langa said it was “unlikely” that the accident could have happened on the right hand side of the road, even though all of the debris, pieces of bone and paint flakes were found on that side.

He said there were a lot of people and they could have “disturbed the scene”.

He denied that he had been affected by alcohol, drove at a recklessly high speed and lost control of his vehicle.

“I didn’t want to kill myself. I didn’t expect the people to be there. I had no intention to harm anyone. I was just driving home,” Langa said.

The trial continues.

today in print

today in print