The Gauteng government on Wednesday it was pulling all the stops to ensure effective administration of all the departments.
This was in response to the Public Service Commission (PSC) announced the government had suffered a financial loss of about R91.5 million in the past five years due to acts of misconduct in various departments.
This was revealed in a report of the PSC report released by its Gauteng commissioner, Michael Seloane, on Tuesday. The report stated that R67 229 091, or 73% of the funds, were lost in the 2014/2015 financial year. It described the losses as an indication of poor operational efficiency.
Provincial government spokesperson Thabo Masebe said the government had committed to follow up on all the matters revealed.
“We started last year to attend to some of the issues in the administration,” said Masebe.
“A roadmap (plan of strategy) has been adopted this year to look at the capacity of all the state institutions. This is aimed at ensuring that all the public servants have full capacity to do their work.
Masebe said the R91.5 million had not been lost in monetary terms, but through the cases relating to financial misconduct that were handled by various departments.
Seloane said the commission recommended the use of law enforcement agencies, such as the Asset Forfeiture Unit, to recover the money form the officials found guilty of financial misconduct, added Seloane.
According to the report, the department of Finance – which was scrapped and replaced with the department of e-Government in September – emerged at the top by incurring a loss of R48 800 000 in the 2014/15 fiscal year. It was followed by Economic Development with R17 065 314.
The report also showed that R557 656 of the lost money has to date been recovered. It said all the departments reported 122 finalised cases of financial misconduct in the 2014/15 financial year.