Assault charges against three teenage boys have been withdrawn at the Welbekend periodical court.
Two months ago the trio caused public outrage when they attacked Simba Masvino while he was cycling down Nkwe road just outside the Nkwe resort. Masvino and eyewitnesses described how he was pulled closer to the moving vehicle, dragged for a short distance and then let go off, resulting in him falling to the ground and hitting his head on a rock.
The farm foreman sustained several lacerations to his face and body and has since undergone surgery to realign his face at his left eyebrow.
The trio made a brief appearance in court on Wednesday where it was placed on record that the charges had been withdrawn and that the parties had entered into mediation.
Masvino was not in court as he had travelled back to Zimbabwe for the birth of his first child. His employer Rudi Britz said Masvino was recovering well and the mediation process had been extremely open, mature and emotional.
“Simba spoke to them openly about how he felt about the whole ordeal. He expressed his options and pain and they (the accused) were remorseful.”
Britz said the severity of the crime they committed had become evident to the boys and they expressed deep regret.
“They realszed there could have been a lot more serious implications for them. I must say they really stepped up in helping Simba to and from hospital several times and actually supported him there.”
Britz said Masvino had taken the decision himself to withdraw the charges.
The mediation process resulted in Masvino being financially compensated. All his medical bills has also been covered by the boys.