“It confirms what we have been saying all along about the department being paralysed through the appointment of incompetent people,” IFP national organiser Alco Ngobese said.
Yesterday The Mercury newspaper reported that the department had sent appointment letters to the wrong people, some who were incompetent, others who were retirees and some who never applied to be markers in the first place.
The newspaper quoted KwaZulu-Natal provincial education department spokesman Muzi Mahlambi as saying the department was working “flat out” to appoint the right people.
Ngobese rejected the department’s excuse that the bungle was a result of a system error.
“It’s a continuation of the chaos that we have been citing for a long time now, the collapse of school feeding schemes and the replacement of qualified people with incompetent cadres,” he said.
He said the “mess” was a legacy left behind by current KZN Premier Senzo Mchunu, who had been the MEC for education until a few weeks ago.
“The idea that such a person has been made premier of the province makes one very worried,” he said. The Democratic Alliance (DA) also weighed in, describing the debacle as a “shame”.
“It tells you that our systems are run carelessly and that people do not have the interest of both the child and the country at heart,” DA shadow education MEC Makhosazana Mdlalose said.
The department is currently appointing 9 500 markers to begin work on December 4.