JeVanne Gibbs
1 minute read
7 Nov 2013
7:00 am

Eldos murder accused walks free

JeVanne Gibbs

The 33-year-old man arrested for his alleged involvement in the murder of an Eldorado Park teenager, has been released from police custody.

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

Eldorado Park police spokesman Brigadier Leroy Nolan told The Citizen the man was released from custody yesterday morning.

“The case against the suspect was withdrawn. Further investigations are continuing.”

The man was due in the Protea Magistrate’s Court for a first appearance yesterday, but court officials confirmed that the docket was denied for court appearance due to insufficient evidence.

This after 8-year-old Sandy Maharla’s body was found burnt almost beyond recognition in a field on Sunday.

Captain Nomvula Mbense told the SA Press Association that an inquest docket had been opened, but the results of the post-mortem would determine whether a case of murder would be investigated. “A post-mortem was performed and the results will

be taken to forensics to conduct investigations,” Mbense said.

MEC for community safety Faith Mazibuko visited Maharla’s family yesterday, where a reported clash erupted between Mazibuko and a man who claimed to be Maharla biological father.

Mazibuko’s spokesman Thapelo Moiloa downplayed the reported tussle and said police would work around the clock to track down the culprits. “The family is still in shock, which is why the MEC offered support to all.”

A memorial service will be held for Maharla at the Eldorado Park Pop Centre at 7pm tonight.