Marushcka Robinson, 24, and Jean-Pierre Malan, 32, are accused of murdering 36-year-old single father of two, Dustin Blom, and leaving him in the boot of his Nissan Qashqai at Montecasino in Fourways, Johannesburg.
The case was yesterday remanded back to Randburg Regional Court on January 16 for further investigation, outstanding forensics and the possible addition of more accused. The prosecution is also alleging the accused withdrew about R35 000 from Blom’s bank account. CCTV footage was used to track the accused down and monitor their movements in the casino.
Robinson’s attorney was placed on record and State prosecutor Yusuf Baba requested another adjournment. Defence attorney for Malan, Shaun Hamilton, requested this be the final postponement for investigation, saying that the State had already had a long time to complete its investigation.
“Both accused are in custody, the accused, my client, is quite anxious to have the matter finalised as soon as possible. By seeking a further remand for another lengthy period of time I would like to make a submission that this
be the last time a remand is made for further investigation,” Hamilton said.
In response, Baba said the State had a wealth of evidence it was still going through and that a request of this nature was premature. “We have to go back now to before September 18 [when Blom was found], a toxicology report is outstanding, we have received the post-mortem report, the forensic evidence is still outstanding from the house and the car, and the Local Criminal Record Centre evidence is still outstanding,” added Baba.
“There is also another matter further related to this matter, where three suspects have also been arrested and a fourth one will be joined shortly. We are eliminating whether they have been part of this matter or not. Further computers have also been seized in respect of those other accused and the State still needs to go through them.”
The magistrate subsequently denied the request and set the matter down for next year.
After the court adjourned, Hamilton said he was still waiting for more information from the State on the extent of the charges before he could apply for bail.
“We have to know what the case is about. I think the postponement is fair but obviously I want my client out,” he said.