1 minute read
5 Nov 2013
9:31 am

Khutsong investigations continue

The investigation into the killings of six people, allegedly by Khutsong residents, continued today, Gauteng police said.

Remains of broken and burnt out shacks are seen in Khutsong on the West Rand, 4 November 2013. Six people including a Sangoma have been killed since the weekend, two of the victims were reported to be necklaced. Picture: Tracy Lee Stark

Brigadier Neville Malila said no one had been arrested by 6.30am today in connection with the crimes, which happened on Sunday.

“We are still appealing to the community to come forward with information.”

Police were maintaining a presence in the area, but the situation remained quiet.

The six were killed after about 400 men, believed to be Khutsong residents, held a meeting to discuss gangsterism on Sunday.

The men separated into different groups.

One group attacked a 61-year-old traditional healer, and set him and his house alight. The man died on the scene.

Other groups from the meeting targeted two young men, allegedly members of a gang, who were assaulted and set alight. They also died at the scene.

Two other alleged gang members were stoned. One died on the scene and the other died in hospital.

The body of a sixth man was found on Sunday night. He had been set alight.

Four of the six bodies were identified as James Magagula, 61, Mojalefa Maleho, 23, Makume Makume and Akhona Ngwati.

Malila said today that the identities of the other two men killed had not yet been released.

Sapa