Students are understood to be mobilising this morning, threatening to shut down the university by blockading the main gate with burning tyres and rubble.
Some disgruntled students went on the rampage last week Tuesday, shutting down the campus and later handing over a memorandum to management. Classes were suspended since Tuesday and were expected to resume today after negotiations were to be held between student leaders and management on Wednesday.
Included in the list of grievances was security on campus, NASFAS funding, bad quality food at the cafeteria, and residence accommodation shortages. SASCO deputy chairperson Monkie Maluleka said protest action flared up this morning because negotiations with management last week collapsed.
“The meetings were conducted in bad faith on their part. Instead of addressing the concerns raised, they started threatening to suspend the organisers of the demonstration.”
He said after a mass meeting with students yesterday, it was decided they would return to the streets to continue protesting until their demands were met.