South Africa 12.9.2015 02:43 pm

Government to finalise Swartruggens toll plaza

FILE PICTURES: Transport Minister Dipuo Peters. Picture: Michel Bega

FILE PICTURES: Transport Minister Dipuo Peters. Picture: Michel Bega

Government is committed to speedily finalise the Swartruggens toll plaza revised financial model, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters said on Saturday.

The Minister urged the affected North West communities to register to qualify for the toll discount.

The revised financial model came as a result of the plight of the majority of North West province residents, particularly motorists who had to travel through the Swartruggens toll plaza daily, the department said in a statement.

The department appointed a task team in 2012 – chaired by the transport director general and consisting of representatives of the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) , the Cross-Border Road Transport Agency, the North West roads and public works department, the provincial Congress of SA Trade Unions, SA Communist Party, African National Congress, SA National Civic Organisation, and the taxi Industry – to consider the request from communities regarding discounted toll fees.

Revised discounted fees were tabled in December 2014 but were not accepted due to the exclusion of Brits and Mahikeng, the department said.

“The department together with Sanral, are considering recommendations of the task team in order to make recommendations to minister Peters.

While this work continued, Peters took a decision not to increase the toll fees for Swartruggens toll plaza until an agreement had been reached on the matter.

Motorists could register for the discount at the Bakwena offices at the Swartruggens Toll Plaza.

 

02

today in print