The matter was postponed to November 1 for further investigation. They remained in custody. The courtroom was packed to capacity by residents of Diepsloot, family and supporters of political parties.
National Prosecutions Authority spokesman Medupi Simasiku told reporters outside the court: “We hope by November 1 we will have enough evidence.” He said police were working with home affairs officials to verify the identities of the men.
They face two counts of murder, rape, and kidnapping after two-year-old Yonelisa Mali and her three-year-old cousin Zandile Mali were found dead in a Diepsloot toilet last Tuesday. Earlier in the morning, supporters of Agang SA were among those who managed to get seats in the packed courtroom while others stood outside.
Security guards manned both doors to the court. Four of the men appeared in court on Friday and the case was been postponed for them to apply for Legal Aid.
On Monday, a fifth man, aged 29, appeared in court. He was arrested in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg, on Friday.
After the murders were discovered, Diepsloot residents stoned cars and burnt tyres in the street outside the local police station in protest.