Ward 117 councillor Tim Truluck said he received written notification on Tuesday that the city’s town planning tribunal had declined the request. No reason for this was given in the notice.
Gupta family spokesman Gary Naidoo said he would respond to questions by e-mail.
Truluck said if the Guptas wanted to re-apply, they could do so at a provincial level, or submit a new application to the City of Johannesburg that was more in line with municipal requirements. Residents could also look at the application.
City spokesman Gabu Tugwana said: “We believe the Guptas have knowledge of why the rezoning was declined. Rather the family is at liberty to explain the reasons why.”
It was reported earlier this month that Saxonwold residents threatened legal action if the city granted permission for a mansion within the Gupta family compound. A team from the city council’s building committee inspected the mansion the previous week, but said it would not make public its decision.
The Guptas reportedly applied to have the alterations, which differed from the previously approved plans, rectified. Neighbours have complained that the building detracted from their enjoyment of their own homes.