On Monday, the inquiry was postponed pending a decision by an unnamed foundation regarding funding. Commission chairman, retired judge Ian Farlam, said proceedings would continue at 9am on Wednesday.
“I have been reliably informed that another body might provide funding… we should hear [its decision] by the end of tomorrow [Tuesday],” he said.
Dali Mpofu, for the wounded and arrested miners, said his team would file papers with the Constitutional Court to ask for a ruling on whether the State should fund their work at the commission.
Mpofu made a similar request in the High Court in Pretoria earlier this month, but it was dismissed. He reiterated his request for the commission, from which his team had provisionally withdrawn, to be postponed until August 19.
The commission is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related unrest at Lonmin’s platinum mine in Marikana last year. Police shot dead 34 striking mineworkers on August 16. Ten people, including two police officers, were killed in the preceding week.