South Africa 4.9.2015 07:00 am

Bid to stop ANCYL congress dismissed

FILE PICTURE: ANC supporters. Picture: Neil McCartney

FILE PICTURE: ANC supporters. Picture: Neil McCartney

A last minute attempt by a group of disgruntled members of the ANC Youth League to stop the national congress from going ahead on Friday has failed.

Judge Moses Mavundla on Thursday evening ruled that the application by North West ANCYL members Thabo Molamu, Mbuyisela Booi, Gontse Marupeng and Papa Jood was not urgent.

The group alleged there had been non-compliance with the ANCYL’s constitution and the delegates set to attend were not a true reflection of the league in North West.

They alleged there had been irregular auditing of branches and that certain members were denied the opportunity to attend the congress in order to influence the outcome. They also complained about “gatekeeping” and signature campaigning.

The group wanted the court to suspend the conference pending the ANCYL complying with its constitution and its prescribed processes.

Advocate John Sullivan, who appeared for the applicants, argued that the conference should be
done democratically and those who attended must be democratically elected. The applicants raised disputes within the party structures, but complained that they received no answers. Sullivan argued that democratic principles were at stake and that the matter deserved the attention of the court.

Judge Mavundla said the respondents had not been able to file their papers because of the short notice of the applicant, but the applicants had submitted more than 200 pages.

All this information could not have been gathered in one day. They clearly gave themselves time to get ready. It cannot be said that the applicants did not know about the congress before Thursday, he said.
Judge Mavundla said in his view the issues brought up by the applicant was something they must have been aware of earlier.

He stressed that it must have taken a lot of resources to put together this congress and people were coming from all over South Africa to attend it. The applicants had months, but now came at the last minute, he added.

The Judge dismissed the application and ordered the applicants to pay the costs.

Delegates to the elective congress will choose between North West MEC for local government and human settlements Collen Maine, ANC national executive committee member and former ANCYL treasurer-general Pule Mabe, former league deputy president Ronald Lamola and ANCYL Tshwane regional chairperson Lesego Makhubela.

Maine is the strongest frontrunner with several provinces having voiced support for him. Mabe and Lamola were in the disbanded league’s national executive committee led by Julius Malema and those familiar with the dynamics of the league say this may work against them.

Political analyst Dr Somadoda Fikeni said: “It is unlikely another Malema will emerge from the ANCYL. The material to make an ANCYL president like Malema is scarce.”

Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa will address delegates at the elective congress.

 

today in print