Young rape victim breaks down in court

Picture: Thinkstock

Picture: Thinkstock

A young woman tearfully testified in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria this week that she still had nightmares about an incident four years ago when robbers burst into her family’s home and raped her, her mother and sister.

“I will never forget it. I still have nightmares about what happened and I am scared of people,” she said. She testified in the trial of Zimbabwean cousins Progress Shoko and Howard Sekani, who have pleaded not guilty to charges of rape, assault and robbery.

The trial continues on Wednesday. The girl was only 15 years old when a group of robbers allegedly jumped over a wall at their Rayton home one night in March 2011, attacked the family, tied them up and raped the mother and her two daughters before ransacking their home.

The court had to adjourn when the young witness burst into tears while describing their ordeal. She testified that her mother had just arrived home when the group of robbers attacked them and tied them up. The robbers wanted jewellery, wanted to know where the safe was and demanded the PIN number to a bank card they found. Shoko became angry when the girl and her sister couldn’t give him the PIN number and started kicking and hitting them. He also threatened to burn them with a clothes iron, but couldn’t find a plug.

Her mother was taken to a back room and she could hear her saying “no, please don’t”. She wiped away tears when she testified how Shoko had penetrated her and her sister with his fingers, telling her that she was “enjoyable”. The girls also had to look on while Shoko threatened to burn her mother with a cigarette and touched her private parts.

Their attackers eventually left one by one after finding a bottle of wine, whereafter the girl managed to free herself and her mother, who activated the alarm. The girl’s mother earlier testified how Shoko had told her she was a rich white bitch and that sex was nicer with a white woman after raping her.

A third suspect was arrested at court earlier this year after the girl’s sister identified him where he was sitting in the gallery during the trial.

He will go on trial separately in December.


today in print