Ilse de Lange
1 minute read
24 Aug 2015
11:00 am

Man killed over loud car music

Ilse de Lange

A convicted murderer who allegedly killed yet another person during a fight about loud music has failed to convince a court he should go free while awaiting trial for murder.

Picture: Thinkstock

The Vereeniging businessman and his 15-year-old son were arrested on charges of murder and attempted murder after an incident at the Rust de Vaal community hall ended in a fatal shooting. His son allegedly attcked – with a bottle – a man who complained about the loud music his father was playing in his car.

The man who was complaining tried to retaliate, but the father allegedly pulled out his firearm and shot him dead. When the man’s friend tried to run away from the scene, the father allegedly followed him and shot him as well.

The victim was rendered permanently disabled and unable to use his hands. The minor was released into his mother’s care and will go on trial separately in the Child Justice Court. The 38-year-old businessman approached the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria after a Vereeniging magistrate refused him bail on grounds that he might commit another serious offence and that his release might place his safety in danger.

The Vereeniging community was up in arms following the incident and handed a petition opposing bail to court. The businessman admitted the community would not welcome him with open arms, but said his rubbish removal company would go under if he was not freed and that he needed to support his family and sick father.

He conceded he had a previous murder conviction involving a firearm, but claimed he had simply “forgo en” to mention it when he applied for bail in the Magistrates’ Court. The man received a suspended sentence and community service for the 2003 murder and was declared unfit to possess a firearm.

The state opposed bail because it regarded him as dangerous. Judge Winston Msimeki refused the bail application saying he had failed to show exceptional circumstances .