Spokesman Simon Zwane said health MEC Hope Papo made the announcement in the provincial legislature earlier on Tuesday. “The delay in payments led to interruptions for 24 days in the current financial year and no significant losses were incurred during the interruptions,” he said.
“During the interruptions, uninterrupted power supply units that have batteries ran down and due to poor lighting at night the contractor had to increase security measures to secure the building and ensure safety of equipment.”
He said the current bill for the Natalspruit Hospital was R127,812.34. The bill for the Zola/Jabulani Hospital in Soweto was R463,841.19. There were no interruptions at that hospital. Papo said: “We would like to assure the community that there would not be major delays in the completion and official openings of both hospitals.”
In April, a water pipe burst outside the Natalspruit Hospital. Water supply was restored several days later. Zwane said at the time that no major disruptions occurred.
“It did affect the hospital, mainly the theatres, but nothing major and no patients were discharged because of the burst,” he said.
“It was a bit of an inconvenience because the water pressure was only enough to supply the ground floor, so water to other floors had to be carried up, but now the services at the hospital are running as normal.”