1 minute read
4 Oct 2013
2:12 pm

DA slams Peters on e-tolls

Transport Minister Dipuo Peters is "out of touch with reality" regarding e-tolling, the DA said on Friday.

“The SA National Roads Agency Ltd’s (Sanral) e-toll contract documents confirm that opposition to e-tolls grew from 39 percent to 48 percent between April 2009 and June 2009 alone,” Democratic Alliance spokesman Ian Ollis said in a statement.

Despite the mounting opposition to e-tolls, Peters, President Jacob Zuma, and Sanral were forging ahead with implementation of e-tolling. “[Peters’] comments this week on the implementation of e-tolling show that she is out of touch with reality,” Ollis said.

Peters reportedly said “a few number of people” had spoken out against e-tolling. “I don’t know whether we can say it is unpopular with motorists. It’s better for you to get your tag in time,” Peters said.

On Friday, the SABC reported that government intended to publicise the proposed e-toll tariffs next week. This was with a view to implementing them by the end of November, the broadcaster reported.

“After the tariffs are advertised, there will be a period of 30 days for public comment,” Peters said. She told the SABC she believed that after this period had ended, Sanral would be able to implement the tolls within one or two weeks.

The Supreme Court of Appeal reserved judgment late last month on a legal challenge by lobby group Opposition To Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa). Ollis vowed that the DA would continue to fight against open road tolling as a solution to fund road upgrades and maintenance in Gauteng.

“This is not the end of the road,” he said.

“We cannot and will not support e-tolling as it will be disastrous to the economy and people of Gauteng. The DA listened to the people’s opposition to e-tolls and successfully halted e-tolls in the Western Cape,” he said.

Sapa

RELATED ARTCLE:

Proposed e-toll tariffs to be published