Earlier in the week spokesman Gershwin Chuenyane had indicated that the school would be investigated after a parent contacted The Citizen and raised a concern that the revision camp was one sponspored by the department and that other township schools’ pupils were going for free.
Chuenyane said: “The department has verified that it is a bona fide matric revision camp set up by the SGB (school governing body) and they are entitled to have it.”
He also confirmed that the department had a matric revision camp of its own which formed part of its Secondary School Improvement Project and pupils were not required to pay for it because it was sponsored. Chuenyane said parents at Forte High were consulted during the school’s general meeting earlier in the year and that they had agreed to pay.
“It was also agreed that those learners who could not pay would be allowed to attend. The school also has a free walk-in camp during the week which learners attend without paying,” he said.
Approached with the concern on Tuesday, the school principal, who only identified himself as Mr ML Mudavhi, said the camp was the school’s own initiative.
“We arrange things to help our pupils. If we must fund-raise, we do so,” he said.