Magistrate Theunis Carstens postponed Litau’s sentencing to November 8. Carstens told the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court that Litau’s bail would be extended to the delayed date as he “has been punctual and appeared in court every time he had to for the last two years”.
The court heard defence attorney Moleke Matsepe’s argument that a conspiracy was behind charges against his client. This had been the “cornerstone” of his defence strategy.
Carstens, however, maintained that no evidence had been presented that the various conned victims had been acquainted and formed an alliance to conspire against Litau.
Prosecutor Anthony Greyvenstein was adamant that Litau be found guilty, following “independently produced credible evidence” by three State witnesses. The court was told that Litau, who resigned from the employ of the City of Joburg last week, was currently transporting children to school to earn a living.
He tendered his resignation during an internal disciplinary hearing in which three witnesses who claimed to have bought land from him gave evidence. Human settlements MEC Ntombi Mekgwe urged all corrupt public servants to leave the public service immediately.
“As government, we are not going to protect anyone in any wrong-doing. We can’t have people like him (Litau) in the public service, he must face the full might of the law and we will wait for the outcome of the case at the court,” said Mekgwe.
He welcomed the conviction of Litau by saying: “This is a clear message that no one is above the law. Public servants should not abuse their positions of power at the expense of citizens. How is the public going to trust us when our own people are found to be involved in illegal activities?”